Thursday, October 3, 2013

Interview with Karen Greco author of Hell's Belle and review


I have Karen Greco on the hot spot today as I interview her. :-)

Out of all the books you've written, if you could live in one of them which would it be and why?

I suppose, technically, I did live in Hell's Belle! I grew up in the Providence area. It's such a cool little city, filled with incredible history, great stories, and because it is so old, loads of superstitions. I heard a lot of ghost stories when I was growing up.

In what scenario do you do your best work?

I can work anywhere, but this is really out of necessity. Since my writing time tends to get chopped up because of my work and family commitments, I sneak it in wherever I can. So I write in my office, in bed, in the kitchen, on the subway. I was writing at my kid's soccer game last weekend (when she was off the field).

What are you working on and when can we expect it to be out?

Right now, I am working on the second in the Hell's Belle series. I also have a horror novel in progress, and a nugget of an idea for a YA paranormal novel that I am really excited about. But Hell's Belle has the priority. I know a lot of people are waiting on that one.

Which books have been on your tbr shelf the longest?

I bought the latest Sandman Slim book, Kill City Blues, on pre-order. It was released back in July, but I haven't cracked it open yet. Kadrey is one of my favorite writers and starting it means it will end, so I refuse to start reading. How's that for screwed up logic?

Paper or plastic?

Paper. I have about 100 different uses for paper bags!

What food can't you live without?

A really amazing burger.

Inside or outside?

Depends on the season! Warm weather, outside. Cold weather, in!

Ice cream in a cone or dish?

Cone, absolutely.

What is your favorite sport?

I will watch just about any "extreme" sport. So BMX bikes, skate boarding, snowboarding, that sort of thing. If I am participating, I usually prefer solitary sports, like bike riding, boxing or weight training. I am not really a team sport person.

What is your favorite or least favorite veggie and fruit?

My favorite fruit is pineapple. Although technically that is not a fruit, it's a berry! (Did I just blow your mind? Cause it blew mine when I learned that!) Wow!

What is your favorite animal?

My dog is my favorite animal. She's snoring beside me right now.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

A raised toilet seat. Oh, I hate that! I hear you. I have four guys in my house.

In your opinion, what is the best Halloween costume?

Wow. There are so many! Anything not store bought and plastic, for sure. I love the crazy over the top creative ones. Like the costumes at the Village Halloween Parade in NYC--those are absolutely mind blowing. Do a Google image search. So worth it!

What is you favorite Halloween treat?

Peanut butter cups, caramel apples, and spiked hot cider. Those plus a great horror flick makes for a perfect Halloween! I'll leave the horror watching to you. lol!

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Thanks for having me!


About this Author:

An award-winning playwright, Karen Greco has spent close to twenty years in New York City, working in publicity and marketing for the entertainment industry.

A life-long obsession with exorcists and Dracula drew her to urban fantasy, where she can decapitate characters with impunity. HELL'S BELLE is her first novel.

Blog / Twitter / Facebook / Goodreads







Hell's Belle

Karen Greco

Genre: Urban Fantasy

ISBN: 1484830202

ASIN: B00DEUDXH0

Number of pages: 238

Word Count: 74,722

Cover design by Robin Ludwig Design Inc.

Purchase it from: Amazon or B&N




Book Description:

Half-vampire, half-human, Nina Martinez spent most of her life underground as part of an elite secret team of government agents who quietly take down rogue monsters -- the human world none the wiser.

She moves back to her hometown of Providence, RI to keep an eye on the recent uptick in supernatural activity, and to help run the bar she co-owns with her aunt. Her attempt at a “regular” life, not to mention a budding relationship with smoking hot FBI agent Max, is cut short because of a string of ritual murders targeting the city's community of witches.

But Nina's investigation unearths deadly secrets from her long buried parents. Now the target of supernatural assassins, could Nina be the most dangerous vampire hybrid to ever exist? No wonder she can’t get a date.

An urban fantasy set in a decaying Providence, Rhode Island, HELL'S BELLE is a fast-paced, adrenaline-fueled roller-coaster ride through a city on the cusp of becoming an urban wasteland. An energetic, expansive, and cinematic, HELL'S BELLE was called "captivating" by Kirkus Reviews.

Book Chick City gave it 5-stars, calling it "one of the best urban fantasies I have read this year!"



My Thoughts:

My feelings for this book are a little conflicted. I liked it and it was a decent story but I felt like something was missing. It just didn't mesh quite right and I can't seem to figure out why. :-(

There were oodles of supes in this book including our lead character, Nina. She was a half vampire, half witch.
   
The action started right away and was spread liberally throughout the book. :-) It was well paced and was a decent length.

In addition to lots of action there was romance, mystery and plenty of surprises.

If you like urban fantasy, you should try this one.

I received an ecopy of this book in exchange for my thoughts. I'll be reading the next book. I bet it is even better. :-)




Thank you for commenting! Don't forget to enter the Comment Incentive Giveaway. The link can be found at the top of the page!

7 comments:

  1. not up to your expectations, good too know since i love urban fantasy but recently i did have some that i jst couldn't enjoy as much as i hoped like you said something missing hard to explain but just didn't make it

    perhaps book2 will get better because at least the author sounds kind and funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, it was good. It's kind of like when a story is good but you don't connect with the characters except in this case the characters were fine. I can't really explain it. Something just felt off for me. Don't let it keep you from trying it though. Maybe you'd figure out what was missing for me.

      Delete
    2. oh i did understand really^^ and i'm not giving up the idea to try it but i saw it wasn't available on bookdepository so i will have to wait before i get an opportunity that's all^^

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for having me--the interview was super fun. And thanks for giving the book a shot. I am sorry it didn't totally do it for you. If you do figure out what was missing for you, please let me know. I write for readers, so all the feedback (even negative as long as it's fair and kind) is really important to me. And I really appreciate that you are willing to give the next one a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if i manage to get a print copy ( being international it risk to be long and difficult though) i will be happy to give it a try ^^ like Brenda as book lover i don't give up on a series because a book isn't perfect for me because all authors even most famous one are still improving . ( only if i hated a book and that hasn't been the case so far^^)
      Since Brenda is always honest and we share a lot together, it made me curious and i would like to see what could be missing or what is perhaps not missing at all for me^^


      thank you a lot for coming to answer us and comment, it's greatly appreciated

      Delete
    2. Karen, I did like it and it wasn't your writing. I just didn't quite feel it. I do have hope that I will be in sync with the next book. :-)

      Thanks and we'll be waiting for book two. No pressure. lol!

      Delete
  3. I'll definitely give it a try. It sounds really good. I think we would definitely get along great. I love horror stuff. I always have. The picture makes me miss my baby. I had a rotty but she passed away a couple of years ago. I still miss her everyday. :( but thanks for introducing me to a new book. :)

    ReplyDelete